Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Great Expectations

Its two weeks now, and my anticipation is reaching a boiling point. I’ve given away or sold most of my possessions, and said a lot of goodbyes. All of my travel arrangements are set. My French has been progressing well, but there are vast areas for improvement. I am making my final preparations here in Rock Hill (SC), where I can spend the few days I have left in the United States with my family.

For anyone who may not be familiar with my assignment, I have volunteered to teach science and math in a secondary school in French speaking West Africa. The responsibilities of this position are well defined relative to other Peace Corps jobs, but very vague compared to most occupations in the states. My primary duty is to prepare sustainable lesson plans and teach hundreds (a reasonable presumption) of young students. Peace Corps also encourages its volunteers to undertake secondary projects, based on community needs that I can identify; perhaps a library, or a garden, or organizing a new source of income, etc. I can only speculate on the conditions I will be working under. While the words “hot” and “poor” immediately jump to mind, I am very optimistic that the lack of amenities and utilities that I have become accustomed to will not interfere with my success. In fact, it is my belief that the dismal economic conditions of Burkina Faso create an environment where education carries a value that we do not appreciate here in America. The multitude of inconveniences I am sure to confront will seem insignificant if I can make real progress towards my goals.

My first three months in country will consist of intense job training, where I will be introduced to the details of working and living in Burkina Faso. These early days will be filled with classes in language, culture, safety and technical skills. I will be assigned a host family to complete the immersion experience. It is also during this time that I will find out where my home for the next two years will be, and I expect to make visits to arrange my domestic situation. At the end of training I will be asked to take a solemn oath, which will make my status as a volunteer official. I understand this time is very busy.

Now I just have to sift through my remaining possessions and decide what I will need, and what I can do without. Officially I can only take 80 lbs, but I know the less I take with me, the less I will have to lug around. If it won’t fit into the suitcase or the backpack, it’s not coming with me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bad ass man, i hope your able to keep updating your blog about your status

2.3.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

80 lbs.??? That leaves Paris Hilton out of the picture. Bummer.

3.3.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adam,

as i have said before i think that your decision to join the peace corps is one of the most commendable things that i have ever known anyone to do. i think that the experience that you experience that you gain will not only benefit your personal growth, but truely shed light onto the whole purpose and meaning of life. so much of our daily lives are spent taking simple things for granted that many just dont have the luxury of having. i am very proud of you adam, and i can't wait to hear about your experiences. (was feeling mushy today! :)

8.3.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home