Baying dogs, noisy roosters, and melodic incantations, this was the symphony that greeted me early this morning. Everything about my new home is both intoxicating and overwhelming. The last 3 days have passed without time, so fast and so... what words could describe it? One thing is for certain, there is not enough time to to adequately describe anything about this place. Memories pile up one on top of the other.
My first glimpse of Burkina was on the ride from the airport to the hotel in Ouaga. I felt completely dependent on the driver in every way. Hqd the van unexpectedly stopped, and i were left to my own devices, I would hae had NO CLUE whqt to do. The PC land rovers were engulfed in passing motorcycles and bycycles, and it appeared that safety was on no ones mind but mine. What were most likely reputable bussinesses would be labled as sturdy shacks in the states. Close to the road, behind the sewage ditches, men congregated and loitered in front of fires and propped up stands. It was as if National Geographic were playing right on the winshield.
After a short hot night in the capital, we were all bussed to our training site in the north. As usual the light oof day eased my subtle fear of the unknown. I began to see the country I will soon beco,e very familiar with. We drove through so,e of the larger villages,;I saw the first baobab trees. Tres beau.
After 2 days of training I can already tell that the entire program is top notch. I feel confident that after 11 weeks, I zwill be well prepared for independance. Our arrival was marked by a beautifful introduction to our native trainers: they sang a native song in perfect choral harmony and passed a ceremonial water dish for us to partake. It is obvious to me now that PC places safety in its top priority, we,ve had multiple seminars on the topic alredy, with little else. Our training group is becoming cohesive, and my optimism is constantly growing.
The training site consists of a medical and administrative compound where our classes are held, and a beautiful hotel next door. The schedule is full; classes last all day, and include plenty of breakes. Its all too perfect.
The day culminated in a tour of the villages downtown area. I was prepared for the staring eyes, but I was still unnerved by the celebrity. I was not so prepared for the respectful and accomodating nature of the locals, they appear to want nothing more than to please you. The real volunteer walking with us introduced us to 2 stangers at the market who, at her request, gave us a complete tour of the area. Again I have to sress that this is all too much to digest. I dont really even have the patience to reflect right now, but I find this entry necessary for historical record. I hope I will be able to find more time to write, but things are happening too fast.
I hope to have some pictures up soon, and sorry about the typing, the keyboard is in french.
Au revoir mes amis
My first glimpse of Burkina was on the ride from the airport to the hotel in Ouaga. I felt completely dependent on the driver in every way. Hqd the van unexpectedly stopped, and i were left to my own devices, I would hae had NO CLUE whqt to do. The PC land rovers were engulfed in passing motorcycles and bycycles, and it appeared that safety was on no ones mind but mine. What were most likely reputable bussinesses would be labled as sturdy shacks in the states. Close to the road, behind the sewage ditches, men congregated and loitered in front of fires and propped up stands. It was as if National Geographic were playing right on the winshield.
After a short hot night in the capital, we were all bussed to our training site in the north. As usual the light oof day eased my subtle fear of the unknown. I began to see the country I will soon beco,e very familiar with. We drove through so,e of the larger villages,;I saw the first baobab trees. Tres beau.
After 2 days of training I can already tell that the entire program is top notch. I feel confident that after 11 weeks, I zwill be well prepared for independance. Our arrival was marked by a beautifful introduction to our native trainers: they sang a native song in perfect choral harmony and passed a ceremonial water dish for us to partake. It is obvious to me now that PC places safety in its top priority, we,ve had multiple seminars on the topic alredy, with little else. Our training group is becoming cohesive, and my optimism is constantly growing.
The training site consists of a medical and administrative compound where our classes are held, and a beautiful hotel next door. The schedule is full; classes last all day, and include plenty of breakes. Its all too perfect.
The day culminated in a tour of the villages downtown area. I was prepared for the staring eyes, but I was still unnerved by the celebrity. I was not so prepared for the respectful and accomodating nature of the locals, they appear to want nothing more than to please you. The real volunteer walking with us introduced us to 2 stangers at the market who, at her request, gave us a complete tour of the area. Again I have to sress that this is all too much to digest. I dont really even have the patience to reflect right now, but I find this entry necessary for historical record. I hope I will be able to find more time to write, but things are happening too fast.
I hope to have some pictures up soon, and sorry about the typing, the keyboard is in french.
Au revoir mes amis

9 Comments:
Very Nice, French keyboard notwithstanding
Can't wait to see pictures.
Sounds crazy, all of us in A Town are keeping up with your updates while going through the usual shit. Nothing we've been doing even compares with the stuff you're experiencing (although St. Paddy's day was insane). We miss your gratifying presence here but know that the natives in Burkina Faso need you more than us. We'll keep in touch and Mary Jane says she misses you very very very very very very much. John and Justin say whats up and we'll all talk to you later (John's even thinking about joining the peace corps when he graduates). Later man, and watch out for bugs, snakes, spiders, other wild animals, AIDS, too much sun, nightfall, offending the natives, strange food, dry kegs, hostile natives...just try and use your best judgment. Peace.
At this pace this is not a blog. Barely a slow blo......
Hey Adam, Just wanted to let you know were thinking about you over there and keeping up with what your doing. Sounds cool. Take care of yourself.
C.W.D.
ARE YOU ALIVE??
It is worrisome!
Most importantly...are there any hot peace corps chicks with you in training?
sounds awesome adam!
Adam,
I read this today:
Britons Advised to Leave Ivory Coast for Safety; Embassy Shut
April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Britain advised its citizens to leave Ivory Coast ``immediately'' amid fears of violence and suspended operations at its embassy in the West African nation's main city, Abidjan, the Foreign Office in London said.
Britons choosing to remain in Ivory Coast against their government's advice should take ``strong security precautions,'' the Foreign Office said yesterday on its Web site. An official who declined to be identified said in a telephone call to the embassy today that the building was closed to the public.
....
Does it effect you?
Are you safe?
Why no writings?
OK
Mr. Ham is a Gentleman and a scholar.
I feel much better now.
Patience is a virtue.
Post a Comment
<< Home