Sunday, June 05, 2005

Newsflash Africa

Its on now. Adam is officially affiliated with the Unites States government, I'm a volunteer. I took some serious oath in front of an ambassador promising to defend my consitution from all enemies, forign or domestic, with no reservations or puposes of evasion, in perpetuity until i die and so on and so forth.....And then we had a kickass party on the roof of the PC office. Ive seen many a good party in my day, and that one ranked very high on the list. But the party is now over and its about time to get down to buisness. Right now im killing time in a cybercafe waiting for my bus to get here so I can whisk myself off to my charming little village. In the past 3 months ive had to cherish the few moments of privacy and free time I was given, but soon they will be all too abundant as I am for the most part isolated in Bani. No problems though, after being here for 3 months I,ve made about every faux pas imaginable and lived to tell the tale so my confidance is pretty solid right now. Bulletproof, thats me.

So what is my plan you ask, fine question my friend. I am arriving in bani at the debut of the harvesting season. The school, and the entier village for that matter will be practically desolate as every capable hand has left for the brushlands to work the land; This is an alarmingly futile task considering drought and pestilance, but necessary. So I'll be starting my vacation in beautiful burkina faso: sun, surf, and women (really just sun). Since in actually nothing official on my plate, its up to me to fill my days, to get inside the community. How this is done is unknown to but hopefully not beyond me. I suppose I'll spend a large part of my days trying to talk with whoever is around, doing my best to lean the local language and sharpen my french to a workable level. Communicqtion is a high priority for me. Then there are home improvements, this will become a fun pastime, but you have never seen the african version of home depot, truly underwhelming. All the more challenging, no big deal, i'll be living better than the chief in no time. I'm also interested in working on my underdeveloped artisitic side of my brain (i forget which side is which), but i'm gonna break out the hamonica, maybe buy a guitar, write some short stories, and design and fabricate my own chess set. Stuff like that, and I'll probably be reading anything i can get my hands on.

Im pretty dissapointed about my laptop situation, which is the reason you are not looking at more great photos from the dark continent. Don't worry though, all is not lost, i will find a way eventually.

Well this is it for now, again thanks for all the feedback, i do read the comments and its nice to know I'm not forgotten back at home. You guys are missed here, wish you were here. But if anyone comes by the means to take a big trip, I suggest you come see me, I doubt you'd regret it, I haven't.

Peace.
Adam.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam,
I'm not sure where you are in your faith, but I'm glad to know that you didn't convert to another religon in one day. I also hope you believe in Jesus. Jim died last sunday night (6-19-05) at age 54. He has been fighting pacreatic cancer for nearly 2 years. I heard from Alan last night also. It was good to hear from him. He sounds proud. We got a new preacher last Sunday at Shiloh. Yeah, Janet and I still enjoy that little church. I am very happy to hear you are getting into the meat of your journey. My advice is to work hard and learn to understand the locals. Then they might want to hear about the good old USA, after you have proven yourself. We (Me, Ben, & Ben) will get a package together soon and send you some goodies. Take care friend.

Charlie

22.6.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home