Bani, Burkina Faso

This is where I work. This is the college of Bani. There are 4 classrooms, there are 4 grades (do the math). Our enrollment is around 120 students, small compared with other sites I've heard of. I am one of two full time professors. As you can see, its pretty much the desert.
A morning in Bani. Greetings are very important part of African culture and simply not saying hello in the morning can offend someone.
In the hot season I pretty much live outside under my hangar. The tin roof turns the hut into an oven.
This is where the magic happens. Bathing area on the left, hole in the ground on the right.
Hitchhiking can be a convenient way to get around Burkina Faso. It can also cause you to sit by the side of the road for an hour to change a blown tire.
The future is now.
This is the view from my courtyard. On the left is the Mosque of the Good Idea (Named so because it was built from rocks instead of mud). On the right are workers building the cellular tower of the better idea.

Study Hall at my house. My students are polite and sometimes really funny. They are good kids. Here we are using a graduated water bottle and a tin can to verify the formula for the volume of a cylinder.




1 Comments:
what's going on with that truck anyway?
Post a Comment
<< Home