Saturday, April 08, 2006

Why is it so hot here?

Well I'm back in village for the 3rd trimester. I'm starting to feel more comfortable in the classroom. I swear I'm going to learn all of the students' names before the end of the year. Two more solid months of work and I'll be going on a real vacation (2 weeks in France).

So everybody, get excited, because Bani now has telephone service! I know, I can't believe it either! I was kinda getting used to the freedom of isolation. The cell tower should be operational within two weeks. If by chance my cell phone is off (remember I don't have electricity), then there is another number you can call. If you are fluent in Fulfulde this process will be a breeze, otherwise it could be a bit frustrating.

226 40467201

This is the phone number for the new telecenter next to my house. A telecenter is nothing but a human payphone. It is certain that you will not be able to understand the person who picks up the phone, nor will he understand you. I suggest you repeat my name or the word tubaku (white person). Then hang up and call back in 5 minutes. If it worked I'll pick up the phone. I think they will assume that any call in English is for me.

Since I haven't written much these last few weeks, I'm posting a few pictures for your enjoyment. They were all taken in my village last week. I hope you like them.



Don't be fooled by their docile postures. These 2 bulls don't like me. I have to pass between them to get into my house. The one on the left kicked me in the knee this week.



For those of you who don't read French, the motto of the bus company for my town is "better late than never." Its funny because its true.


The village blacksmith lives across the street from me so I often hear a distant thud of the hammer during the day. Metal working is a skill often kept in the family. Here a youth develops his ability by making jewelry.




Burkina Faso cultural lesson: This is a garibou and Bani has an army of them. They are easy to spot by the tin can on a string. The garibou system is an Islamic practice in which groups of male children are placed completely under the care of a man called a Marabou, who will teach them about their religion. In exchange, the children beg in the streets and thus support the Marabou. They claim that this teaches a young man humility, but I see it more as institutionalized panhandling. By the looks of most of them this Marabou doesn't feed them so they go around the village collecting food in their cans. I give them food when I have extra, but they don't come to my door because I'm not Muslim. This is why there are almost no students from the village at my school. This picture really makes me laugh because I asked him to pose for a picture and he did that.


The sun is no longer my friend. I swear its only like 20 feet away.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I called
Easter SUnday (4.16.2006)
12:24 PM

Said : ADAM TUBAKU, ADAM TUBAKU

Waited 5 minutes

Called and said: Adam Tubaku

Heard words like

AMIDILLA

VOLOPELEH

Hung up

WHat next?!

16.4.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you. Pictures are great. I'll try the phone sometime. Take care.

Charlie

30.4.06  
Blogger Adam Cohen said...

Translations:

VOLOPELEH: Most likely "Il faut appeler" = You must call

AMIDILLA: Most likely " A midi la" = At noon.

21.5.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home