Easy Rider
Its fun. The bikes are sweet. The road is long.
I have pictures to put up, but i forgot the damn cord at the hotel room. So I'm in Accra, the Ghanian capital. I spent last night in a 17th century dutch fort overlooking the ocean. $5 bucks a night.Can you believe it? The tiny fishing village didn't have any restaurants but you can buy a chicken back on the street for 80 cents. Now I'm sitting in an american style food court...its very very strange. I can't believe this is the same country. The driving on the coast is fantastic. It rains from time to time, which on a bike is certainly uncomfortable, but thats just part of the adventure. The bikes, while new, are most definately chinese pieces of shit. We've already had malfunctions and parts failures, but nothing a few rubber straps can't fix. Coming across the burkina- ghana border was no picnic. When we bought the bikes the salesman told us it would take 3 to 4 weeks to get license plates, and that just wasn't an option. So we just went without, which doesn't really fly when you try to get across the borders. We were stuck there for a whole day trying to convince people we weren't smugglers. We ended up paying the taxes twice (for each country) and went to the DMV in the next town. It seriously could have been a DMV in South Carolina! The difference between Ghana and Burkina is about the same as the difference between Ghana and America. This place is so far ahead. We got the plates in one day (it was however a very long day). It's been about a week since we left ouagadougou and it's gone by fast. We still have a long way to go. We don't know if we're going all the way to morocco, but we'll definately be in senegal before it's all over.
I promise I'll put up pictures (maybe by tomorrow).
Bye Bye
Adam
I have pictures to put up, but i forgot the damn cord at the hotel room. So I'm in Accra, the Ghanian capital. I spent last night in a 17th century dutch fort overlooking the ocean. $5 bucks a night.Can you believe it? The tiny fishing village didn't have any restaurants but you can buy a chicken back on the street for 80 cents. Now I'm sitting in an american style food court...its very very strange. I can't believe this is the same country. The driving on the coast is fantastic. It rains from time to time, which on a bike is certainly uncomfortable, but thats just part of the adventure. The bikes, while new, are most definately chinese pieces of shit. We've already had malfunctions and parts failures, but nothing a few rubber straps can't fix. Coming across the burkina- ghana border was no picnic. When we bought the bikes the salesman told us it would take 3 to 4 weeks to get license plates, and that just wasn't an option. So we just went without, which doesn't really fly when you try to get across the borders. We were stuck there for a whole day trying to convince people we weren't smugglers. We ended up paying the taxes twice (for each country) and went to the DMV in the next town. It seriously could have been a DMV in South Carolina! The difference between Ghana and Burkina is about the same as the difference between Ghana and America. This place is so far ahead. We got the plates in one day (it was however a very long day). It's been about a week since we left ouagadougou and it's gone by fast. We still have a long way to go. We don't know if we're going all the way to morocco, but we'll definately be in senegal before it's all over.
I promise I'll put up pictures (maybe by tomorrow).
Bye Bye
Adam

3 Comments:
Good news
WOnderful to hear from you
God Speed.
Cool, I didn't picture a DMV there. I guess there everywhere.
Take care..
does your phone number work anymore?
Post a Comment
<< Home