HAPPY NEW YEAR
So it has been a long time since I've posted anything. I wonder if anyone still checks this site. If you do I owe you an apology. I've just sort of been absorbed here. But I'll fill you in on some news.
I almost got kicked out of Peace Corps for being in the right place at the wrong time. For about 3 days I really thought I was coming home. I even told people to cancel trips to visit me. what happened? Well I was on vacation on the coast of Ghana and it was absolute paradise. When it came time to head back, I didn't want to go. Neither did the group I was with. I stayed with them and I didn't inform the administration. Then the bad luck hit. Ouagadougou turned into a warzone for about 2 days; the police and the militiary were having their own personal gang war in the capital. I was in no danger because I was on the beach learning to surf at the time, but the country director starting looking for all the volunteers because they were going into crisis lock down mode. Needless to say they couldn't find me for days and were about to call washington to report me missing when I finally contacted them. They were not happy. It was a risky call and I got busted; being out of country is a serious offense and I'm lucky to still be here. By the way, I'm not in any danger if you were scared by the political instability I just mentioned. Let's just hope it goes away.
That said, Ghana is amazing. Not at all touristy, cheap as hell, and as close to paradise as I would need. I'm going to look for jobs in Accra. It was that much fun. Pictures will be posted as soon as possible.
School is a breeze now. There is no substitute for experience. I discovered that really enjoy teaching, that maybe I should think about doing it professionally. I suppose I should be thinking about what I'm going to be doing after Peace Corps since I only have 5 months left of service. I sent out a few grad school apps, so we'll see if anything bites.
My other projects are getting started. I helped organize a tree planting at the school, I even got funding from the local Parent Teacher Association (not a trivial accomplishment). So now we have 28 new saplings, mostly eucalyptus. My neighbor and I also started a girls club with the female students. We've only had a few meetings so far, and we are working out the kinks, but it seems to be a positive experience for everyone involved. We are teaching them about family planning, female sexual health, career advancement, savings and credit, and even thinking about doing a little amateur theater. Its a start, but a good start. I've even had some of the boys come visit me to tell me that they are jealous and they too want a club. go figure.
Other things have happened, but for some reason I haven't opened my journal in 2 months. I'll get on that. But I'm getting to the end, and I guess its making my lazy or something.
Pictures to come.
Adam
I almost got kicked out of Peace Corps for being in the right place at the wrong time. For about 3 days I really thought I was coming home. I even told people to cancel trips to visit me. what happened? Well I was on vacation on the coast of Ghana and it was absolute paradise. When it came time to head back, I didn't want to go. Neither did the group I was with. I stayed with them and I didn't inform the administration. Then the bad luck hit. Ouagadougou turned into a warzone for about 2 days; the police and the militiary were having their own personal gang war in the capital. I was in no danger because I was on the beach learning to surf at the time, but the country director starting looking for all the volunteers because they were going into crisis lock down mode. Needless to say they couldn't find me for days and were about to call washington to report me missing when I finally contacted them. They were not happy. It was a risky call and I got busted; being out of country is a serious offense and I'm lucky to still be here. By the way, I'm not in any danger if you were scared by the political instability I just mentioned. Let's just hope it goes away.
That said, Ghana is amazing. Not at all touristy, cheap as hell, and as close to paradise as I would need. I'm going to look for jobs in Accra. It was that much fun. Pictures will be posted as soon as possible.
School is a breeze now. There is no substitute for experience. I discovered that really enjoy teaching, that maybe I should think about doing it professionally. I suppose I should be thinking about what I'm going to be doing after Peace Corps since I only have 5 months left of service. I sent out a few grad school apps, so we'll see if anything bites.
My other projects are getting started. I helped organize a tree planting at the school, I even got funding from the local Parent Teacher Association (not a trivial accomplishment). So now we have 28 new saplings, mostly eucalyptus. My neighbor and I also started a girls club with the female students. We've only had a few meetings so far, and we are working out the kinks, but it seems to be a positive experience for everyone involved. We are teaching them about family planning, female sexual health, career advancement, savings and credit, and even thinking about doing a little amateur theater. Its a start, but a good start. I've even had some of the boys come visit me to tell me that they are jealous and they too want a club. go figure.
Other things have happened, but for some reason I haven't opened my journal in 2 months. I'll get on that. But I'm getting to the end, and I guess its making my lazy or something.
Pictures to come.
Adam

1 Comments:
How did you get them to forgive you?
Hope that military emergency does not get you. It is rarely "3 days" affair.
More like a few years and it can only get worse.
Post a Comment
<< Home