Back to Work
My trip to Europe is coming to a close. I've seen some art, heard great music, ate real food, swam in the sea, got some sun (on a toplesss beach), danced till dawn, met some new people, and caught up with friends. Paris and Barcelona, two awesome cities. Tomorrow I will be back in the Faso.
I've learned from this trip that I have changed quite a bit in a year, and I can't say its all welcomed. Living in such isolation has made me somewhat anti-social, or at least thats how it appears to others. Village life is very lonely and I've learned to be very comfortable with my own company. It is confusing to other people and I think they take offense. Its difficult jumping back into modern life and western culture, but I feel (and hope) that these feelings and behaviors would pass with time.
I've also said things that were rediculously self-rightous and condescending, things that I instantly regretted. That has got to stop. I'm no good at the ''holier than thou'' routine. It's not me. Its one thing to be proud of what I've done, its another to try and make others feel bad about not caring.
The number one question I got asked about my Peace Corps experience: ''So what do you want to do after you get out of the Peace Corps?'' It invariably comes up within the first five minutes of an introduction. I shouldn't find this odd, I should expect it being American. But it is odd. Here you ''are'' what you ''do''. Definition by accomplishment. I'm not saying this is a wrong way to evaluate self-worth, but it isn't complete by my standards, and it certainly doesn't apply to village culture.
Back to Burkina. 11 months and 2 weeks left (but who's counting).
Adam.

3 Comments:
GREAT self-observation. Kudos.
Missed you sat morning (9:14)
Have a safe flight
K.
just to show you what ungrateful people you serve:
Todays' news:
Africa invites top anti-Americans to summit
Sun Jul 2, 2006 2:04pm ET
BANJUL (Reuters) - Two of the world's most anti-American leaders, Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, attended this weekend's Africa summit in Gambia to the consternation of Western diplomats.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-07-02T180438Z_01_L02516572_RTRUKOC_0_US-AFRICA-OUTSIDERS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22
Just do NOT expect Accolades for all the things you do for AFRICA!!!
It is a VERY HATEFUL and UNGRATEFUL PLACE!
A.
Adam,
Good to hear from you. All is well here. Just working like a dog and trying to enjoy the summer (& lake murray). You remember lake murray don't ya? Hehe. Just kidding. I for one commend you on your bravery for traveling to the other side of the world to a place that really could use some help. I'm sure the locals appreciate it also. I can't wait to see you again. It's been a while. Take care of yourself.
CWD
Post a Comment
<< Home