Saturday, July 15, 2006

So you noticed I haven’t written in a while. What’s that about? No excuses, I’m just sorry.

I think I write less because the biggest transitions have passed. My life has taken on some level of normalcy. I don’t really see African life as weird or strange anymore (just frustrating and amusing). I don’t claim to understand everything the natives do or think, but most of the time I manage to interpret not just what is said, but more importantly what is not said. Actions and behaviors have become somewhat predictable, which means that shocks and surprises are no longer an everyday occurrence. I discover new things everyday, but the major barriers have been broken down. Life is easier and less stressful. In short, nothing big to write about.

Things are still going well for me. My school had a dramatic improvement on test scores this year, shocking the town and myself! We had nearly 50% of the students pass the national exit exam (last year it was under 10%). A lot people in the village give credit to the Peace Corps, and I really appreciate it. Making a difference, changing lives, that’s what I’m about.

One of my good friends in village (Mssr. Kabore) is officially the first mayor of Bani. I’m allowed to attend the local assemblies and listen in on the decision making process (theoretically since my fulfulde is still pretty weak). Anyways I hope I can offer the local government my perspective as an outsider and learn more about the needs of the village. It should be educational.

I’ve decided that I’m going to have a pow-wow with “the prophet” before I leave. Honestly I’m somewhat afraid of him but damn it, you only live once! So what if he had a man killed for sleeping with his daughter. I’ve already got a translator lined up. I want to know what this man/ demi-god thinks. He believes he’s Mohammed, and so does half of the town.

It’s the rainy season again, my last one. This means there is no school so I have no primary responsibilities and all the teachers have left for the capital. It means almost every villager has left his home to go live in his/her fields. Bani is a ghost village so I can’t really undertake any secondary projects at the moment. So what am I doing? I’m training new volunteers. For the next five weeks I’ll be living in a comfortable villa in a big town (that has a pool!) instead of my leaky shack in the desert. Am I excited? You bet. I get to meet new Americans, which is good because I’m tired of the old ones already (no offense).

This leads me to my next big news bulletin: I’m getting a site mate! Bani will get a second volunteer. I don’t know exactly how I should feel about this but it’s happening so I’ve just accepted it. I just hope we get along because it’s a small small place. I’m looking forward to meeting her.

Thanks to my friends from the ATL for the package. The pictures were a real morale booster. It was the most homesick I’ve been in a long time. We had some damn good times at “the hill.” If anyone wants to send me something, I could use some boxers (knit/large), kool-aid, sauce packets, processed cheese packets/cans, American cigarettes (Parlaments), whiskey or tequila.

Much love from the Faso

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home